Thursday, October 6, 2011

Lemon & Coconut Brownies

I'm not certain if it's the dismal weather or my fuzzy state of mind or the fact that I've just had suitable leftover ingredients. But this is the second time in a week I have got my bake on. I'm a keen baker, but this seems a little excessive. It's also rather coincidental that both recipe choices look remarkably similar when baked. Both creamy light in colour and both dusted with a snowfall of icing sugar.

This one is a tasty number and what I do like about this type of baked good... it's not chocolate. Although I am a crazy chocoholic, I do like a break from it now and then. I found the recipe using good old google and I've found this particular site often delivers a winner, sometimes it's just a matter of sifting through the masses on there. So I'm justifying my baking onslaught this week because we haven't indulged in any packet biscuits or bought cakes for a long time. And home made IS always best. That's what I'm sticking to.

Lemon & Coconut Brownies

250g butter
430g (2 cups) caster sugar
4 eggs
225g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour
85g (1 cup) desiccated coconut
3 tsp finely grated lemon rind
60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
icing sugar, to dust

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a 20cm x 30cm slab pan with non-stick baking paper
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat
Stir in sugar
Add eggs, one at a time and stir until mixture is thick and glossy
Sift the flour over the egg mixture and stir until well combined
Stir in coconut, lemon rind and lemon juice
Spread over base of prepared pan
Bake for 30 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean
Set aside in the pan to cool completely
Cut into pieces and dust with icing sugar


11 comments:

  1. Looks delish! Hope you're feeling better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - home made is best, especially when it looks this good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes can substitute lemon for chocolate, hoping to get my bake on this weekend, will be trying these for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm.
    Hope they were just what the doctor ordered!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you that an occasional break from chocolate is good. And for me, after reading your post, today may be the day! I just went shopping yesterday and have all the ingredients ... so, yes! I've now talked myself into it. Can't wait to see what you share next :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep homemade is definitely better and I too like to break away from chocolate once in a while to devour something that looks as good as these :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness - lemon and coconut are two of my favourite things and to have them combined in a brownie sounds like heaven!
    yummy yummy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooner or later if you dont send me something yummy in the post you are going to come home and find me sitting on your step with a dessert fork!

    Btw - for some reason I can leave comments from my laptop for you but not on my home computer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m going to turn into a little piggy soon, but don’t stop! I tried this one today yummy yummy ,and I must tell you there is only one piece left.....and only the LOML and I have been home today, bet I get the last piece too!

    Always Wendy

    Ps some of my comments are not showing up hope you don't get to many from me??? xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously Julie you have to stop posting all these amazing recipes YUM!!

    Oh and how do you possibly stay so thin with all this baking ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)