Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Stairs

I had grand plans to wake at five thirty this morning. Instead, I was woken at six, by a grizzly Felix. I stumbled to his room, picked him up, flopped back down on the spare bed and cuddled him to sleep. Until he woke again at eight. Quite unheard of to enjoy a sleep-in of late. It just happened to be the morning I was set to get my training regime back on track.

It has been over four months since I took part in any form of proper exercise. There have been excuses galore. Clingy toddler, feeling tired, feeling sick, feeling flat, weather too cold, weather too wet, don't have time, I'll do it tomorrow... the next day... next week. Then as time draws on, enthusiasm wanes and before I realise, I've convinced myself that exercise is not for me. But I know deep down, that is not the case. And I also know it only takes the right kind of exercise to bring me back to life.

So after much consideration... and a far later start than I had planned... I took on an old nemesis. The stairs. Scott and I used to conquer these stairs many moons ago. We lived just around the corner from them and we'd race each other up and down, until we could barely breathe. Quite possibly the most punishing set of steps I've ever taken on. Heading down offers a certain amount of respite. Going up on the other hand, is torture. I'm not even sure how many there are, though it would be in the vicinity of two hundred. They're steep and nasty and turned my legs to jelly, after my long hiatus from the fitness scene. Afterwards was worth it though. Four sets completed in total, a million dollar view at the top and I felt exhausted, but good. Real good. 




18 comments:

  1. Well done, gorgeous view to enjoy too.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that view is worth all those stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you have completely inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so need to do this. SO need to do this. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lucky that view is there, otherwise you'd be punishing yourself for nothing! {oh, i forgot about the hot bod that comes after doing these a few times} hope your legs aren't too sore tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! I completely understand those excuses but sometimes you just have to do it don't you? keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you enjoyed those endorphins - as well as that gorgeous view.
    Mummy won't be playing on the floor tomorrow, boys!!!
    :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good on you, what an amazing view!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. GOOD LORD!

    I feel exhausted just looking at them! :)

    3 cheers mama!

    Don't those endorphins feel good? :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - what a stunning torture ground you have. So beautiful. Exercise is fabulous for making you feel good - but so hard to make myself do. I've got myself a treadmill and that helps - but no where near as beautiful as your stairs and their surrounds. :) Yay you. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those stairs look killer - bet it feels good though.
    Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Go you J. The first step is always the hardest and to do for steps is awesome.
    You're reminding me to get my butt back into gear post easter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good on you! Steps are a killer work out aren't they. I hope you weren't too sore today!
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jules! I miss that view. But you can keep the stairs ☺. Bravo, my friend! J x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Go girl! Those steps looks awesome/brutal at once.

    Best view at the top makes it worth it!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa nothing like starting at the basics for you! How are your legs today, and sitting down for that matter?;)x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good girl you! I need to start doing some exercise too, apart from all the walking I do now we dont have a car (or need one in HK)

    Oh the view too, you live in such a beautiful place. Makes me a little homesick. Only a little.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That view is incredible! Come visit me in Melbourne and we'll do the 1000 steps in Dandenong together - google it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)