Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Bright Spark

I have long admired the rainbow layer cake. With so many of them popping up around the place, every time I think to myself... I'll give that a crack one day. And my littlest babe turning two this week was the perfect opportunity to finally try it out. Phew! I am glad the boy's birthdays are six months apart. As fun as it was to bake six individual cakes and whip up two double batches of butter cream, I think I need a nice gap to prepare for the next cake inspiration to unfold.

Today we had a lovely little celebration with some wonderful friends. The children were so beautifully behaved and had a great time running around keeping warm, despite the freezing cold temperature. It seems such a long time ago when my darling Felix entered the world. Yet I remember the precious moment like yesterday. As with his big brother, I will never forget his sweet baby breath in those first seconds after he was born. As bizarre as it sounds, I honestly wish I could bottle that scent. There is simply nothing as pure and fresh. He is a dynamo, our little man, but we all adore him so very much and the spark he has brought into our lives.














20 comments:

  1. Wowsers that is one mean cake..nice job! I have avoided this cake in fear of absolutely stuffing it up or just scared of the work involved I am not sure. We have a 2 year old birthday next month, isn't it a magic age. I love it, apart from their stubborness it is still so innocent!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're clever, that looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. go mum! that looks awesome Julie! I love love love the smartie rainbow! well done, birthday cakes mean lots of planning and preparation - and icing! - in this house too. he must have been so rapt. and happy birthday little man! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum....I've admired this cake for so long, how clever you are.
    Looks like fun was had by all, and there may just have been a litle cake left for tomorrows morning tea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Felix :) You did an amazing job with the cake. I'm another one who has admired the rainbow cake and thought I must give it a go sometime. Maybe I will save it for Noah's first bday cake. I have a bit of time up my sleeve ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!
    What an amazing job - well done.
    Never in my wildest dreams!!! :-)

    Oh - and thanks for reminding me that I'll be lucky if we end up with 6 days between our two birthdays here!!
    No rainbow cakes for my children!

    Happy, happy, happy birthday to beautiful Felix.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great cake! Our threes birthdays are all within three weeks of each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just fabulous, Jules. A triumph! I was so over that icing by the time we finished India's! Happy birthday, little Felix. J x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO impressed. That's probably the best rainbow cake I've seen!! And the smartie rainbow on top? Superb!! Feel free to send any leftovers to Honkers ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, that cake looks fabulous, I can't believe how clever you are to do those layers too. I love the smiles on all those gorgeous faces.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to the gorgeous birthday boy! That cake is very impressive - I love your m&m rainbow over the top and the cakey colours are lovely and bright! Super Job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous!! Happy birthday to your big boy! Miss Haidee wants a rainbow party. I'm thinking of attempting this cake. I'm totally going to cheat at it though. Betty Crocker all the way, icing included. A baker I aint! LOL xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Birthday Felix!!!!
    Great job on the cake J I'm sure it was delicious too looking at those smiling faces.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome job on the cake Julie!
    Happy birthday Felix :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cake looks fabulous! Quite the feat to make one of those!! Well done. Happy birthday to your little Felix!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday to Felix! The cake looks awesome - bet it was yummy too! Did it take long to make?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy belated birthday to Felix! The cake looks awesome - bet it was yummy too! Did it take long to make?

    ReplyDelete
  18. How did I miss this?! Honestly! Julie - that cake looks amazing. I am so impressed. Felix looks chuffed to bits with it - as were you, i bet! Hope you all had a really good day. Birthdays are so special when kids are involved. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. that cake - magnificent!!! you are amazing x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)